Your Questions About Money Making Stocks For 2010

William asks…

How can i make payments on a car?

I want to make payments on a new volkswagen beetle, it doesnt have to be a 2010… actually i prefer a 2003 or 2006. But can somebody tell me where to go so i can start? and How much (on average) will it cost me? This is my first time doin this and i just need a little help please? thankyou?

John answers:

Do a little research and find one you would like. Then, go the dealer that has it in stock and see if they can get you qualified for a loan with a lender. Or, go to your bank and see what they can qualify you for.

I am a Finance Manager for a VW dealer. If you have verifiable income of, say $1500 a month or more, have been on your job for a year or so, and have established credit with no derogs, you may be able to get one. If this is your first major purchase, you may need a co-signer, i.e. Mom or dad.

Beetles in those years (2003 – 2006) go for anywhere from $6,000 – $13,000 depending on mileage and condition, so you could be looking at a payment of anywhere from $150 – $300.

****** WARNING: You will probably get posts here that try to direct you to websites that can “help” you get car loans. Stay FAR, FAR, FAR away from those things. The only thing they are trying to help you do, is move money from your bank account to theirs. ******

Charles asks…

Do you get tax relief if you lost money in stocks?

Ok here is the detail.

I made money in 2009 and although I immediately re-invested these, I got taxed. However right now i have lost money. If I pull out now, and lose money, will I get those taxes back?? How do I do that?

John answers:

No you don’t get those taxes back. What will happen is if you pull out now, when you file your 2010 taxes you will be able to claim a loss and that will make your tax liability smaller.

Sharon asks…

What does the WaMu win do for the common stock?

I had a significant amount of money in WaMu stock before its failure and I sold it 30 cent on the dollar the day after WaMu was declared a fail by FDIC. Does the ruling against JPM does anything for the common stock? I would guess that lots of bonds holders and other creditors are waiting to get their money but just want to make sure.

John answers:

Common stock holders are ALWAYS last to be paid in a bankruptcy. The debt on WAMU exceeds capital. Bondholders may get something and preferred stock holders MIGHT at best get 10 cents. I think this is optimistic. There is nothing in the bankruptcy plan that is showing to give any benefit to common stock holders.

In Nov 2007 WAMU was ranked in my top 5 list as “Companies currently in financial trouble.”;_ylt=AuKU6Z3PRb7ir4tqjdWOIpXty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20071031144709AAq5Ql2&show=7#profile-info-6049a2cb7ab1f9bdad88eec566e8c30faa

Betty asks…

What is a safe stock, bond or ETF to invest in that produces the best dividend right now?

Something you can put your money in and make say 3-5 percent while the next correction makes things cheap again.

John answers:

Check out AGNC….how about 20% return, and a stock that trends continually up. Look at the chart, if you owned the stock in 2010 your return would be about 60% , look at 2009, same thing. It is almost too good to be true. It is a REIT. A REIT must return 90% of its income by law each year. This stock will be good till interest rates start rising. Even when the interest rates go up 100 basis points, it will still be paying 7 -8%. Yes, I own it, I have a stop on it, and I am not an agent. The techicals are very good on it, the fundamentals fair. Another REIT paying 16% is CIM, both the fundamentals and techicals are good on CIM, but AGNC outperforms CIM. Yes, I own CIM also. Avoid bonds, if you are a player, consider ETF’s.

Mark asks…

What is the difference in tax rates between qualified dividends & non qualified?

**My account at Fidelity is taxable**

I have money in a Fidelity mutual fund called “cash reserves” The yield is 5.00% But the dividends this fund pays do not qualify for the lower tax rate

I own shares in Bank Of America, this yields 5.30% but the dividends qualify for the lower rate.

I’m guessing Bush enacted these cuts to give people an incentive to keep money in stocks rather than money markets (cash).

I’d really appreciate it if someone could give me the actual differences.

Thanks in advance

John answers:

Ordinary dividends are the most common type of distribution from a corporation. They are paid out of the earnings and profits of the corporation. Ordinary dividends are taxable as ordinary income unless they are qualified dividends. Qualified dividends are ordinary dividends that meet the requirements to be taxed at the same maximum rates as net capital gains.

Qualified Dividends

Dividends eligible for the special tax rate are those received from domestic corporations and certain qualifying foreign corporations whose stock is traded on a U.S. Securities exchange or other established market. The 2003 Act did not define “dividend.” However, a dividend is generally a corporate distribution to shareholders, based on their stock holdings, made out of current or accumulated earnings and profits, unless the distribution is specifically treated as a non-dividend by tax law (e.g., as a redemption or liquidation distribution).

Dividends that pass through to individuals from regulated investment companies may be eligible for the reduced tax rate on dividends. Mutual fund dividends will be eligible only to the extent they represent dividends the mutual fund earned on stock, and not on other types of fund earnings such as interest. Mutual funds will report to individual investors the portion of their dividends eligible for the reduced rates.

Ineligible Dividends

The special tax rates do NOT apply to dividends paid by, among other things:

Mutual insurance companies;

Credit unions, mutual savings banks, savings and loans, and certain other types of financial institutions;

Nonprofit voluntary employee beneficiary associations (VEBAs);

Employer securities owned by an employee stock ownership plan ( ESOP) to the extent the dividends are deductible under IRC Sec. 404(k);

Stock purchased with borrowed funds when the dividend was included in investment income for purposes of claiming an investment interest deduction;

Tax-exempt corporations under IRC Sections 501 or 521;

Farmers’ cooperatives;

Foreign personal holding companies;

Foreign investment companies;

Passive foreign investment companies; and

Stock owned for 60 days or less in the 120-day period beginning 60 days before the ex-dividend date (when the corporation makes final the shareholders who will receive the dividend).

The special tax rates also do NOT apply to:

Payments received in lieu of dividends when shares are loaned out (this may occur when shares are held in an account with a margin agreement);

Dividends received in an IRA or qualified retirement plan; or

Any dividend to the extent the taxpayer is under an obligation to make related payments with respect to positions in substantially similar or related property.

It appears that dividends on preferred stock will NOT be eligible for the special tax rate if the issuing corporation follows the common practice of (1) treating the preferred stock as debt on its books, and (2) deducting the “dividends” on such stock as interest.

Effective Date and Sunset

The special tax rates apply to qualified dividends received on and after Jan. 1. 2003, and through Dec. 31, 2010. For individuals in the 15% or lower tax bracket, a zero-percent rate will apply to qualified dividends received in years 2008 – 2010.

The special rates are scheduled to expire for dividends received after 2010. Note, these special rates were extended under the Tax Increase Prevention and Reconciliation Act of 2005.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.